3 cloves garlic, divided
2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
4 cups water
1 cups French green lentils
8 cups chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
¾ teaspoons sea salt
4 slices stale bread
1. Mince 2 cloves of garlic
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed pepper and minced and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and rosemary and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the water, bring to a boil. Add the lentils, reduce the heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 40 minutes.
3. Add the kale and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale and lentils are tender, about 10 minutes more.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
5. Brush the slices of bread with oil. Bake until toasted, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Cut the remaining garlic clove in half and rub the toast with the cut side up of the garlic. Serve each toast topped with the lentil mixture, drizzled with ½ teaspoon of the remaining olive oil.