2 medium heads cauliflower
2 medium shallots, peeled and minced
½ teaspoon minced fresh sage
½ teaspoon ground fennel
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup green lentils, rinsed
2 cups vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the cauliflower heads in half through the stem of the vegetable (the stem holds the “steak” together) then trim each in half so you have a 1-inch cutlet. Place each piece on a baking sheet. Save the extra florets for another use.
2. Place the shallots in a medium saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add 1-2 tablespoons water at a time to keep the shallots from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic, sage, fennel, crushed red pepper flakes, and lentils and cook for 3 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 45-50 minutes, or until the lentils are very tender. Add water as needed to keep the mixture from drying out.
3. Puree the lentil mixture in a blender with a tight fitting lid, covered with a towel. Return the puree to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm
4. Prepare the grill.
5. Place the “steaks “ on the grill and cook each side for about 7 minutes.
6. To serve, place the grilled “steaks” on a plate and spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with the chopped parsley.