1 (9-inch) pie crust (recipe below)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped leeks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
8 cups chopped, cleaned Swiss chard
1 1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake pie shell for 6-7 minutes, and remove from oven.
2. Saute onions, leeks, and garlic in olive oil and a little water until tender. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
3. Toss in Swiss chard and cook for about 1 minute, until chard begins to wilt and reduce in size, without cooking it all the way down. Remove from heat.
4. Spoon chard mixture over bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over chard mixture. Pour eggs over chard and cheese evenly and slowly. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bale at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set. Serve hot or at room temperature.
BASIC PIE CRUST
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup unbleached flour or whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons iced water
1. Cut butter into small pieces and begin wit a light touch to quickly work the butter into the flour with your hands or a fork until the butter is fairly well distributed.
2. Add the salt and mix lightly. Add the water and mix with a fork only until he ingredients are moistened.
3. Lightly and quickly form a ball. Flour a pastry cloth or board and roll or pat out the dough into a round about 6-inches in diameter. Roll or press into pie or tart dish.