¼ cup olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
6 cups vegetable broth
8 large sweet peppers, halved and seeded
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
Sea salt and pepper to taste
6 – 12 fresh flat–leaf parsley leaves
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté, stirring constantly, until golden 5 – 7 minutes.
2. Add the broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the peppers, reduce the heat to medium and cover, simmer until peppers are very tender, 30 – 35 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Working in batches, using a slotted spoon, transfer peppers, onions, carrot, and celery to a blender or food processor. Add some of the cooking liquid and puree until very smooth.. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat.
4. Add the thyme, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle into warmed soup bowls or mugs and garnish each bowl with 1 – 2 parsley leaves. Serve at once.