¼ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
1 pound summer squash, cut into julienne with a knife or mandoline
2 tablespoons olive oil
fresh ground black [pepper
3 tablespoons fresh chopped marjoram, basil, or parsley
¾ pound fedelini (or your choice of pasta) – optional
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly toast the walnuts on a baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. Trim ends from the squash and julienne the squash. In a heavy pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the julienned squash. Saute over medium-high heat, tossing until tender and lightly browned. Season with sea salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs.
3. Optional – if you want to serve this with pasta –
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to the package. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
2. Toss the noodles with the seasoned squash and add a splash of cooking water. Add the toasted walnuts and toss to combine.
Taste and correct the seasoning, and add more pasta water if needed. Plate and garnish with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.