½ cup water
1 small clove garlic
1 fresh hot pepper of choice, split lengthwise, seeds removed
6 small tomatoes, cut into quarters
1½ pounds squash
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
juice of ½ lemon
1. Combine water, garlic, hot pepper, and tomatoes in a large skillet over low heat. Add a generous pinch of salt. Cover partway, bring to a simmer, and cook 4-5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cut the squash lengthwise into long strips about 1/3-inch thick. Cut the strips in half both ways; all the pieces will have skin on them.
3. Add the squash to the skillet and toss with tongs. Cover part way and cook, tossing once or twice, until the squash is just tender, 8-10 minutes.
4. Remove the squash from the skillet with tongs and arrange on a serving dish. Turn the heat up under the skillet and reduce the juices by half. Stir the lemon zest into the juices and spoon over the squash. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
5. Serve at room temperature.