¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and divided
1-2 butternut squash, halved and seeded
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 Asian pears, cored and chopped
1 apples, cored and chopped
6 cups stock of choice
lemon juice to taste
½ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the allspice, cinnamon, salt, red pepper, and nutmeg with 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Brush the inside of the flesh of the squash with the allspice mixture, reserving any remaining. Arrange the squash cut side down on the sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes or until very soft. Remove from the pan ands let rest until cool.
3. While the squash is roasting, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and the reserved spice mixture in an 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, and cook until the onions turn
4. Light golden brown. Add the shallots, sauté for a few minutes then add the ginger, pears, and apples. Continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes, or until the fruit begins to soften and turns a golden brown. As the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, deglaze with 1 cup of the broth. Add 3 more cups of the broth and simmer gently.
5. When the squash has cooled, scoop out the flesh into the onion-fruit mixture. Mash the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon and add 4 more cups of broth. Gently simmer for another 15 minutes. Ladle the soup into the blender in small batches and puree until smooth. Taste and balance with lemon and slat if needed. Add more stock if necessary to thin the soup. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.