Broccolini and turnips are a fantastic pair in this frittata.
8 ounces broccolini (about ½ bunch) trimmed
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
3 ½ cups shredded peeled turnips
½ cup chopped onion
8 large eggs
2 large egg whites
¼ cup milk or milk substitute
½ cup fontina or Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccolini and cook until very tender, about 5 – 7 minutes. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with garlic and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add the turnips, onion, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread and pat the mixture into an even layer; cook, without stirring for 2 minutes. Then stir the mixture and stir up any browned bits. Pat the mixture back into an even layer and continue cooking, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir again spread back into an even layer and cook until mostly golden brown, 2 – 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Wash and dry the pan.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook briefly, until beginning to set, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Spoon the turnip mixture evenly over eggs. Top with the cheese, then the broccolini.
5. Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake the frittata until set, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. To release the frittata from the pan, run a flexible rubber spatula along the edges, then underneath, until you can slide it out on to a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.