This soup can be served cold, or both soup and sauce can be reheated and served hot.
For the soup:
3 pints vegetable stock (6 cups)
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of ground coriander
1 head Romanesco cauliflower, coarsely chopped
1 pint cream
For the red pepper sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 red peppers, deseeded, trimmed and chopped
1 red chili pepper, de-seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and grated
1. Bring the stock to a boil in a large pot. Add the nutmeg, coriander, and seasoning.
2. Add the chopped cauliflower and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool, blend to a smooth puree, then add the cream.
3. While cauliflower is cooling, make the red pepper sauce. Heat the oil in a pan, add the red peppers, chili, ginger, and some salt. Cover, and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Let cool and then blend to a thin sauce which will emulsify a little.
5. To serve, pour the soup into individual bowls. Carefully pour the red pepper sauce into the soup, starting in the center and making a thin spiral. Serve at once.