Much thanks to Karen Haralson for such a delicious recipe!
6 sweet peppers
2½ cups cooked warm brown basmati rice
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups mushrooms, chopped
2 carrots, grated
½ cup fresh basil, torn
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¾ cup walnuts, toasted
1 cup chevre or ricotta cheese
1. To roast the peppers – set the whole pepper on the grill or a grate on the stovetop over a gas flame. Grill until blackened on all sides, using tongs to move it around as needed. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 15 minutes to loosen the skin.
2. Using a paring knife, and fingertips, peel off blackened skins. Remove seeds and ribs. Set aside.
3. In a large pan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and grated carrots and cook another 2 minutes.
6. On low heat, add the cooked rice to onion mixture and combine. Add the cheese, parsley, and walnuts. Stir to combine until cheese is warmed.
7. Lay peppers on a platter. Using a small spoon, fill each pepper with the rice mixture. Top with fresh basil.