1½ pounds beets with greens attached
1 head garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
¾ teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 cup distilled white vinegar
¼ sweetener of choice
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Rinse beets well. Cut off greens then cut the leaves off the stalks. Set the leaves and stalks aside. Remove any excess papery skin from the garlic head without separating the cloves, then cut the head in half horizontally.
3. Toss the beets, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in a small baking pan. Cover with foil and roast until tender 1- 1¼ hours. Let cool slightly.
4. Whisk vinegar and sweetener, in a medium bowl. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the bowl. Peel and dice the beets; add to the bowl. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
5. Finely chop the beet stalks and very thinly slice the leaves; place in a large bowl. Scoop out the marinated beets from the pickling liquid with a slotted spoon and add to the bowl.
6. Drizzle the beet mixture with ¼ cup of the pickling liquid. Add walnuts, onion, dill and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and gently toss to combine.