1 Romanesco cauliflower, trimmed and broken into small florets
5 tablespoons flour of choice
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
¾ cup fine whole-wheat bread crumbs (PANKO)
olive oil cooking spray
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain in a colander, shaking off any excess water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower until it resembles clumpy rice. Transfer to a bowl to cool, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in flour and cheese into the cooled Romanesco. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg whites. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to come up over the edges. Spread the cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it to an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until very cold, about 1-2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with oil.
4. Spread bread crumbs on a plate. Gently turn cauliflower mixture out onto a cutting board, removing the plastic wrap. Cut it into 36 even pieces. Roll the pieces in the breadcrumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place on the baking sheet, about 1-inch apart.
5. Coat with the cooking spray, if using, or drizzle finely with olive oil. Bake, turning once halfway through, until browned, about 35-45 minutes.
Serves 6 – 6 pieces each