8 ounces unsalted butter
1-2 teaspoons gluten free-flour blend or all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar or sweetener of choice
2 cups almond flour
3 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup Meyer lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
½ cup medium-grind polenta
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place rack in the middle.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; set aside. Use the butter wrappers to grease the inside of a 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with flour, rotating to coat the bottom and sides of the pan; discard the excess flour. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom, place inside the pan and set aside.
- Add the sugar to the butter and mix at high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Add the almond flour and mix slowly.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl before adding the next. The batter should have a light, mousse-like texture.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Add the polenta, baking powder, salt, and cardamom, continuing to fold in carefully.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the edges. Set the cake pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge of the cake to loosen then remove the sides of the pan. Leave the cake on the bottom of the springform pan, place on a rack and let cool completely.