1 pound uncooked French lentils (green or brown)
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup small cauliflower florets
olive oil to coat the broccoli and cauliflower
1 bunch kale, stem and ribs removed, sliced into thin ribbons
large handful each – arugula, tatsoi, and chopped escarole
½ cup thinly sliced green onions (green and white-red parts)
1 cup diced carrots and radishes mixed
1 pint cherry tomatoes (optional)
1 avocado, diced
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, or white balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the broccoli and cauliflower florets on a baking sheet and drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are just tender. Remove from oven and seat aside to cool.
3. Prepare the lentils by cooking in plenty of salted water to cover by at least 2 inches, for 10-15 minutes. Lentils should be al dente, not mushy. Taste a lentil to check for desired doneness before removing from heat. Drain and run cold water over lentils to stop cooking. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
4. To make the mustard dressing-combine mustard, and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil.
5. Add roasted broccoli, cauliflower, kale, other greens, onions, and chopped vegetables of choice and add the tomatoes, if using.
6. Top with the mustard dressing and toss gently.
7. Top with the avocado and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 8 or more