2 large leeks
½ cup butter
1 large potato (or several small)
1 cup grated asiago cheese
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or vinegar of choice
¾ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or ¾ cup light breadcrumbs (not too finely ground)
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon sea salt
ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter timbale molds, ramekins, or little soufflé dishes.
- Rinse leeks and cut white and a little of the green parts into thin slices. Rinse leeks again and pat dry.
- Melt butter in a sauté a pan and cook leeks until soft. Set aside.
- Grate potato and cheese into a mixing bowl and add vinegar and toss. Add ½ cup breadcrumbs, eggs, cream, leeks, salt and pepper. Mix well and divide equally into buttered molds.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining breadcrumbs, thyme, garlic, and olive oil. Mix with fingers until oil is incorporated into breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle on top of timbales. Place molds on a baking sheet at 350 degrees and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until mixture is set.
- Remove from oven and turn out molds onto a serving platter.
- May be made in advance, turned out of molds, and reheated in broiler or oven.