3½ teaspoons paprika
3½ teaspoons ground cumin
2 green garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ teaspoons sea salt
5 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 14-ounce package extra firm, water packed tofu, drained
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 large bunch kale, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
1 medium sweet pepper, your choice of color, cut into 2-inch strips
- Position rack in lower third of oven, preheat to 450 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with oil.
- Combine paprika, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Measure out 2½ teaspoons of the spice mix and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil to the remaining spice mixture. Cut tofu into ¾–inch cubes and pat dry. Add the tofu and chickpeas to the spice mixture in the large bowl and stir to combine; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spread the tofu and chickpeas on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast on the lower rack, stirring once halfway through, until golden brown, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, return reserved 2½ teaspoons spice mixture to the large bowl and whisk in the remaining lemon juice and oil. Add kale and, with clean hands, massage the greens until they are reduced in volume by almost half, 1-2 minutes. Add the sweet pepper.
- Serve the salad topped with the roasted tofu and chickpeas.