1 medium lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds summer squash, cut into lengthwise slices, about ½-inch thick
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (use a vegetable peeler to shave thin curls or slivers of cheese)
1. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove peel from lemon with a vegetable peeler, making sure not to include any white pitch. Reserve the lemon. Cut the peel into thin slivers. Add to the boiling water and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a small bowl. Add oil, pepper, and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
4. Oil the grill rack or grill pan. Grill squash slices, turning once, until tender, 6-8 minutes.
5. Arrange squash on a platter and drizzle with the lemon dressing. Serve sprinkled with almonds, cheese, and lemon peel.
6. If you want a little heat, add minced, fresh jalapeno to the dressing.
Makes 6 servings