Ok, I have a sweet tooth and this is such a great recipe to sooth the tooth! Orange is a good friend to both beets and chocolate and all of the flavors combine well to make a delicious brownie.
3 small, uncooked beets
9 ounces good quality unsweetened chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 ¼ cups super fine sugar
zest of 1 orange and juice of ½
1 ¼ cups flour of choice
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
crème fraiche, to serve
1. Boil beets until tender when pierced with a sharp knife., about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool enough to peel. In a food processor or blender, blend to puree and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and line a large baking pan at least ¾ inch deep.
3. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Add the butter in cubes and let melt, stirring once or twice.
4. In another bowl, beat the sugar with the eggs until smooth and creamy. Stir in the melted chocolate, orange zest, juice, and pureed beet, then sift in the flour, and baking powder, baking soda, and stir to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. If you plan to reheat the brownies before serving, stick to 15 minutes or even less if you like a gooey brownie!
7. Serve with crème fraiche if desired.
Makes 10 servings