Broccolini, commonly known as a super food, is the star player in this vegetarian noodle dish. High in fiber, broccolini is also a good source of vitamin B-6, which is more difficult to find in a vegetarian diet. Broccolini is also rich in calcium and vitamin C. Couple this with all the vitamin A, folate, and potassium in the arugula, you have one great-tasting healthful salad.
6 ounces rice noodles or noodles of your choice
2 cups broccolini, cut up
4 cups arugula (or mizuna)
1 cucumber, sliced
½ cup peanuts
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1½ tablespoons honey
12-16 drops toasted sesame oil
12-16 drops chili oil
¼ cup sesame oil, untoasted
1. Boil noodles until just soft; do not overcook, about 3 minutes for rice noodles. Rinse in cold water.
2. Boil or steam broccolini for about 2 minutes, until crisp-tender.
3. Clean the arugula or mizuna, or use a combination.
4. To make the dressing – mix all the ingredients together. You can play with the toasted sesame and chili oils to get the flavor you like. When adding salt, remember the noodles are bland and the dressing might require more salt than expected.
5. To compose the salad, make a bed of greens. Layer the noodles. Then the cucumbers, peanuts, and dressing.