Sesame Garlic Sauce:
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup peanut butter
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
¼ cup rice vinegar, or juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
¼ teaspoon cayenne or less to taste
½ pound whole wheat spaghetti
1 head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (6 cups)
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
2 carrots, grated
¼ cup finely chopped chives or scallions
1 cup toasted almonds
1. First prepare the sauce – whisk together the garlic, ginger, peanut butter, sesame oil, vinegar or lemon, tamari, and cayenne. Set aside.
2. Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Set aside.
3. To prepare the vegetables – steam or blanch the broccoli and cauliflower for about 5 minutes, until just tender. Heat the oil in a medium-size pan and sauté the cooked vegetables and grated carrots until well combined, about 1 minute.
4. In a large paste cooking pot, mix together the vegetables, scallions, cooked pasta, and sauce. Heat for about 3-4 minutes, until it’s piping hot. Taste for seasoning.
5. Sprinkle with almonds to serve.