1 leek, trimmed, cut in half and rinsed well
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2½ cups water or stock of choice
1 bunch turnips, peeled and diced
1 celeriac root, peeled and diced into large chunks (about ¾ -inch)
2 apples, cored and diced
coarsely ground black pepper
1. Finely chop leek together with onion and garlic.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium heat. Add leek mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and ½ cup water or stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to medium low and cook until water is almost evaporated, about 15 minutes.
3. Add turnips, celeriac, and remaining 2 cups of water or stock. Cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
4. Add apples and a generous pinch of salt to pot, cover and simmer until apples are soft and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes more.
5. Puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Add salt to taste. Serve drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse pepper and sea salt to taste.
Makes 6-8 servings