2 pounds parsnips
1 pound carrots
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
balsamic vinegar, to taste
lemon juice, to taste
enough arugula for a salad
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Slice the parsnips and carrots lengthwise. Place the vegetables on a baking sheet. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, a good splash of balsamic vinegar, and the thyme sprigs. Toss well to coat.
3. Roast for 20-40 minutes, depending on the size of the vegetables, tossing occasionally, until the parsnips and carrots are just tender.
4. In a large bowl, toss the arugula with freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, add a splash of olive oil to lightly coat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the arugula on a platter and top with the warm, roasted carrots and parsnips. Remember to remove the thyme sprigs! Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
* For an extra layer of flavor, you can caramelize onions, and add them to the arugula salad before you top with the parsnips and carrots.