Thank you to Julie Jordan for this recipe, and the many others she has created over the years.
3-4 apples, diced
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 cup raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
½ cup butter
2/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Put the chopped apples in a medium-size pot with 2 tablespoons water. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until the apples have become thick applesauce. Measure out 1½ cups and return it to the pot to keep it warm.
2. Mix together the flour and spices, raisins, and walnuts in a mixing bowl.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, mix in the honey then stir into the dry ingredients.
4. Stir the baking soda into the hot applesauce in the pot – be prepared, this will foam up in a spectacular fashion. Add to the batter in the bowl, mix thoroughly and pour into a well-buttered 9-inch square cake pan.
5. Bake in a preheated 325 degree F. oven for about 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 1 9-inch square cake, serves 8