Cumin Roasted Parsnips and Carrots
(credit chef Mary Sue Milliken)
The sweetness of carrots and parsnips is balanced and enhanced by cumin, garlic, lime juice and mint to make a delicious, warming, hearty, and simple side.
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into ¼”-thick rounds on the diagonal
- 1 lb. parsnips, cut into ¼”-thick rounds on the diagonal
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. toasted cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped mint leaves
Heat oven to 350°. Toss carrots and parsnips in oil, honey, cumin seeds, garlic, salt, and pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until lightly browned and liquid is evaporated, about 20 minutes more. Sprinkle with lime juice and mint; serve immediately.