Yield-6 snack-size servings
This is a vibrant fall salad that uses a nutrient dense and wonderful green typically only used in cooked dishes. To tenderize the greens they are massaged with a little sea salt, making them tender and delicious.
1/2 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 large bunch kale, stems removed, finely chopped
2 cups shitake mushrooms (optional), thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 medium Fuyu persimmons, diced
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, or other seasonal fruit (the pomegranate seeds make this salad spectacular!)
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1. Place the onions in a small bowl wit the apple cider vinegar and cover with water. Let soak for 20 minutes. Rinse and squeeze out any extra moisture.
2. Place prepared kale and optional mushrooms in a large bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. With your hands, massage the mixture, kneading and squeezing gently until the vegetables begin to wilt.
3. Add onion, persimmon and pomegranate seeds to the greens. Toss to combine.
4. Whisk together the raspberry vinegar and lemon juice. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk continuously until emulsified. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Add just enough dressing to the salad to coat the ingredients and toss. Add in the pumpkin seeds, toss again, and serve.
5. To make this a hearty dish you can add 2 cups cooked wild rice and a little more of the vinaigrette.