I know we didn’t get fennel this week, but this is a simple, wonderful soup, so I thought I would share it anyway. Maybe you have a little fennel left from last week!
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced fronds reserved
2 1/4 pounds carrots, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
10 c. broth of choice
3c. cooked wild rice
2 Tbs. blood orange juice or orange juice
parmesan cheese for soup topping
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel and saute 3-4 minutes, until softened.
2. Stir in carrots and cook another 10 minutes to soften and start taking in some color. Stir in garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
3. Stir in broth. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, another 15 minutes or so.
4. Stir in wild rice, bring back to a simmer, taste, add more salt if needed.
5. Serve dusted with parmesan cheese and fennel fronds.